Monday, September 21, 2009

Petrogliphs

This morning we packed our cooler with provisions for lunch and went off to our adventure at Valley of Fire State Park - we actually did not even see it all (but spent hours there along the trails and climbing rocks) and it is not that big. There were petrified logs, yes entire logs. Rocks of every hue - reds, yellows, and all sorts of shades between. There were amazing panoramas everywhere and sunset was indescribably beautiful. Some looked like beehives (from centuries of wind, sand and water), an elephant and 7 sisters. Then there was Mouse's Tank that you got to by walking down Petroglyph canyon trail - oh my it was amazing to actually see up close and be able to touch such vivid petroglyphs. I do have a lot of pictures to bring back. This trail was loose, rather than packed sand and my feet and blue socks are now a lovely pinkish terracotta color. We saw jackrabbits, desert squirrels, little lizards. The ranger said the burros and mountain goats were out but we did not see them.

Hope you have time to check out those links. Going to attempt to get all that red sand off me so I can start off clean for tomorrows trip to Red Rock Canyon (I wonder how challenging those rocks will be to climb) and if we have time we are going to try to go to the Brothel Museum in Crystal.

1 comment:

  1. Tell the red rocks I miss them. If we could have another vacation home, I'd want one in Sedona!

    ReplyDelete